The update that Apple has released is intended for those with Mac computers. As was announced, the new version of OS X, under the name MacOS Sierra, it is now available to download. You are thinking of upgrading? Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions that may arise and summarize the main new features of this operating system.
Can I upgrade my computer?
Not all Mac models are supported, although those of the most recent generations. Specifically, to update to Mac OS Sierra will need to have one of these models and their generation is the same or newer than seems indicated below:
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
How to know which generation is your computer? Simple: in the upper left of the screen, click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac On the screen that appears, will tell you what your computer model.
What is on the list means that it is fully compatible? No. Although it is compatible, specific functionality may not. Visit the official page and section Feature requirements find more details. For example, to use Apple Pay if you have an iMac, you will need your model is 2012 or newer.
Can I access all the new features that brings macOS Sierra?
Unfortunately, there are some features that do not work in all countries. For example, Apple Pay for Web is not available for all. What do you book a restaurant through Siri? Only in Canada, USA and Mexico. You can check the compatibility, but basically refer especially to what Siri and Spotlight can do and in the case there are few limitations.
How do I install macOS Sierra?
Once you have verified that your Mac is compatible, makes a backup of it and frees up disk space if you need it (it takes 4,77GB, according to the official description).
Once done, enter the Mac App store from your computer and looking macOS Sierra (or, more simply. Do not be surprised if, especially at first, looks downloading slowly. It is normal for launches servers are saturated. once you download it , you just have to follow the instructions on the screen.
If you want to perform a clean installation of Sierra macOS you have to create a USB installer. To do this, once macOS Sierra downloaded from the App Store, open the Terminal application and run the following command:
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/USB –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app –nointeraction &&say Done
If the memory used has a different name USB will have to rename or change where it says. Finally, start your Mac by pressing the ALT key and select the USB installer. Once you started you’ll need to access Disk Utility to erase the partition where your currently installed OS X.
You may also like to read another article on improtecinc: It works the technology that Google wants to kill passwords, Trust Score
The main innovations of Sierra macOS
Siri, the digital voice assistant Apple finally comes to the desktop version of the brand and it does, they say , with “features designed specifically for computer”. What this means? How it is to use Siri on your computer, but essentially:
- It will let you search for files intelligently. For example, you can ask him to show you the documents you’ve opened this week.
- The search is not only limited to your computer, but also Internet. What do you need a picture of something? Siri what you are looking for.
- You can ask to add things to your calendar, including events like parties or movie premieres.
- As in iOS, Siri also you can answer basic questions and doubts: the time questions about your computer, play music, etc.
Clipboard from one device to another
When you copy a link or picture on your mobile, you can give pasted into a document on your computer, and vice versa: the Continuity of which boasts both Apple also expands the clipboard.
Unlock for Apple Watch
If you have password lock to your computer, you can set it to automatically recognize you when you’re close with your Apple Watch, without inputting the password. That’s right: only will be available for Mac models mid-2013 or later, and Apple Watch with watchOS 3 installed.
Optimized storage with iCloud
Do you have files on your computer you do not normally use? Apple believes hold the key to optimize storage space, and it passes up these types of files to cloud iCloud. Next to the little – used files also mail attachments, photos or movies from iTunes go to the Internet, leaving only local files that you usually need more. At the same time, they detect duplicates easily and warn you of things that can be deleted to make room on your computer.
Not only changes the paradigm, but also the file system, which becomes APFS.
Also on iCloud, macOS Sierra passes default save in the cloud you have the desktop and in your Documents folder, so that is synchronized between your devices (useful only if you have a few files or if you have payment plans, since the free plan iCloud is very limited in space: 5GB).
Tabs on documents
Apple’s official apps begin to support the ability to browse tabs, as has Safari. You can be for example in Pages with several open documents and jump from one to another jumping tab.
Extensions for Safari on the Mac App Store
Safari extensions to become native and can be downloaded directly through the Mac App Store.
iOS news that matter
- Photos: Do you remember one of the new features of iOS commented 10 which was to organize smarter photos? Among other things, it allows you to search for faces or make intelligent searches as leaving them. In Sierra Photos macOS these improvements are also implemented, in addition to also add with videos that are self – generated from your photos.
- iMessage: giant emoji, reactions or previews of links.
- Apple Music: redesign and new player that lets you access the lyrics.
- Video on all windows: The picture-in-picture (PiP) having iOS for iPad also comes to the desktop: You can catch a Safari window where you’re playing a video and make it look above all, fixed on the screen.
- Apple Pay: can pay with Pay Apple also web pages from desktop … unfortunately only in countries where Apple Pay works.